Apr 26, 2023

Man, woman and cat rescued from flat fire in Plaistow

Firefighters had to rescue a man, a woman and a cat from a flat fire believed to have been caused by an unattended candle.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) was called to Anne Street, Plaistow at 9.38pm on Sunday (June 4).

A man and a woman were rescued from a first-floor flat by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, before being treated by London Ambulance Service crews.

The woman was taken to hospital for further treatment.

The LFB said that a cat was also rescued from the flat, which was damaged in the blaze.

A spokesperson for the Brigade added that the fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by an unattended candle.

The spokesperson said: "Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It's really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything else that can easily catch fire."

It took fire crews Plaistow, Stratford and East Ham fire stations more than an hour to extinguish the blaze, with LFB confirming that the incident was not over until 10.48pm.

In total, three fire engines and 15 firefighters attended the scene.

We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused.

Please report any comments that break our rules.

READ MORE - Barrels of 'acid' dumped in Royal Docks Road, Beckton LFB Candle Safety Tips